Cupola Replaced on Administration Building

Fri, 07/11/2008 (All day)

MOBILE – Spring Hill College celebrated a milestone in the renovation of the Administration Building on June 25, when the cupola was replaced on the historic building. A hurricane in 1916 destroyed the original brass-plated rooftop cupola.

In 1830 the original Administration Building was built in Greek-Revival style and named by Bishop Michael Portier as “the College.” Today’s Administration Building lies upon the same foundation as the original 1830 structure. 

In 1869 a fire destroyed the Administration Building, and it was subsequently rebuilt. The brick structure was covered in stucco in 1909 for water filtration and to resemble the newly constructed St. Joseph Chapel, unifying the identity of the college. Another fire in 1909 inspired the construction of the east and west wings, followed by the hurricane of 1916. In 1995 yet another fire engulfed the eastern part of the building. In addition to dramatic fires and hurricane damage, the building has suffered the ravages of time.

Upon its completion in January 2009, the Administration Building will be named in honor of the Rev. Gregory F. Lucey, S.J., the 37th president of Spring Hill College. The renovated and renewed Administration Building will provide much needed classroom space for growing academic programs and offices for several academic departments. The Administration Building lies at the heart of the college’s academic community and has provided inspiration for some of the newly constructed buildings on campus.